Friday, September 17, 2010

Journey to the center of the sea..

Immediately after arriving in Vung Tau, I was called in straight for meeting at the Petro Vietnam office, which is a 5- minutes walk away. Not knowing it was so near, I accidentally took a cab, which make a straight, then left turn, shit…I arrived. (What a moron)

After briefing the MISC General Manager on the action plan on board the FPSO vessel, now is the time for waiting. Due to some problems, instead of a helicopter, I will have to take a supply boat to the middle of the South China Sea, which will take me a bloody 17 hours (Yes, 17) journey to the FPSO tanker.


It was a smooth ride. Along the way, you saw the oil drilling platforms, fish boats, supply boats, and endless view of the ocean horizon.

The problem is, instead of sea-sickness, I started to suffer from home-sickness. I don’t even felt it when I left home to study when I was a 12-years old kiddo.

Suddenly I am asking myself what am I doing here? With no telephone signals and internet connection, no one knows even if I am dead or alive, been eaten by sharks or kidnapped by the pirates of the Carribbean.


To pass the boring time, I did my favourite stunt – sleep first, homesick later.
Closing my eyes, my friends and families, my comfy home in Puchong all came into my mind.
Then I tell myself “Hung Yew, welcome to the world of uncertainty”.





2 comments:

  1. I felt the same when i went offshore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Craig, interesting and fun at the same time too I must say...

    ReplyDelete