Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Life in Boarding School (Part 1)

I spent my five wonderful teenage years in a boarding school.

Not just any normal boarding school. They don't called SM Sains Miri a "Sekolah Bestari" for no reason. You don't get into this kind of school, with all expenses paid by the government if you are nowhere near to the "smart ass" label.

Sounds cocky right? But i am not joking.

To gain entry to this kind of school is only via one way, getting selected by the ministry of education. It is once in a lifetime experience that made me cried and begged my mum to let me leave the family as early as 12 yrs old.

The first day i stepped in to the school, reality finally kicks in.

I thought my bedroom (what i mean is i thought i will have a room to myself) will looked something like this.




But similar to Pak nasser's nasi lemak on Air Asia when you comparing it to the menu, it is a total disaster. It looked something like this.



Is that a HORSE BARNS??



Or did i just signed up for the refugee programme out of mistake? We are sharing a "hall room" with the 12 other students at max, 6 students at min, in one room!!

I thought of running away from the first day. On the second day i have thought of molesting the headmistress just to get myself thrown out from school.

But i couldn't just go back home and tell my mum "sorry mum, i think i have make a big mistake in my life". It will be really embarassing as i have been boasting around to my mates that i am "living on my own" far away from home. It sounds cool to them though.


With my dignities and balls at stake, i decided to stay put.



The routine in a boarding school will be like this:



1. Waking up as early as 5 am, get prepared and attending the morning for "roll-call" at 6.30am, to mark the attendance and pay tribute to the "Negaraku".



2. Classes from 7am to 1pm.



3. Preparation class (or better known as prep) from 2pm to 430pm.


4. Sweat it out on the field, do whatever you want, football, volleyball, badminton, you named the sports, we have the court. (Of course no ice skating ring, don't be ridiculous).

5. Take shower, going for dinner and another prep class at 7.15 pm-10pm.

This is exactly the same routine for me from Monday to Friday, for five years straight.

Oh ya, i forgot to introduce our menu for lunch and dinner, which is mainly consist of what we called as "Ikan besi" or steel-wire fishes. The fish can be so hard that if you used it to knock over your friend's head, it will cause your friend concussions.


You only have special treats such as chicken on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. It is like OMG TGIF! Other than that, shut your mouth and enjoy your fish please. Oh well, unless you are sitting for PMR or SPM, then one month before that you are entitled to a meal coupon that will "separate" your meals from others, with better choice of dishes. Well, this impressed me a lot as the school will go for extra miles just to help their students to score well in examinations.


Well, at least not a bad start as i have made lots and lots of friends during the first few months. In fact, we have only two chinese students in the form 1 that year, which make us quite special (or odd) from the others.

I will go on writing about my life in the boarding school in my next post.

Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment