Monday, September 2, 2013

My Debut in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

For at least once in a year, my football team will organized a soccer friendly match with team from overseas.

They have been to China, Macau, Indonesia, just to name a few.

Why I said "they" is because I have never joined them for those overseas friendly match before due to work commitments and etc.

As for this year I begged to differ.


I love to travel, and I treated soccer as my second-life. If I was born in England, UK, I might just ended up with this.

 
 
Playing for Manchester United.
 
I don't know why, some of my friends told me that Shinji Kagawa does looked like a twin brother to me.
 

Well, I think I am better in term of looks.

Anyway let's go back to the topic.

We took Air Asia for this trip. The weather was fine all the way until the final minutes before we touched down and that's when I came across one of the scariest moment of my life.

The whole plane was shaking so bad and literally free-falling from the sky at one moment and everyone was screaming on the top of their lung.


That's the exact look on my face at that moment.

How I didn't pee in my pants, I don't know.

Our arrival was greeted by some of the familiar faces and we were immediately whisked away to our hotel for the next two nights.

During the journey to the hotel, I noticed that there's someone looking at us from the van window.


A young street beggar.

After 15 minutes of driving, we reached our destination - The Casa Hotel.


This hotel may not be the nicest but it is quite affordable at USD 35 per night. Not to mentioned that for party-goers, there's KTV lounge and discotheque just within the hotel compound itself.

After a wild night out with your friends, the last thing you would have wished for will be puking and sleeping on a busy street in Cambodia.


The interior view of this hotel. Quite a value for money.

After our dinner, we went for some beers and went back to our own room to prepare for the match next day.

The match was organized in the "Olympic Stadium" in Phnom Penh on the eve of 31st August.


Our opponent was the Angkor Beer team.

How they got their team name I don't know.

We brought the Malaysian flag for this match to show our patriotism to our country, when we couldn't be there in our homeland to celebrate our independence day.

We started the game well, I missed a couple of chances, and scored the first goal for my team after the goalkeeper miskicked a back pass from his team mates.

I nicked it, turn the goal keeper and scored my first "international" goal.

For the first 30 minutes we were basically running out of breath as the weather was so hot, hotter compared to our Malaysian weather.

We were leading 2-1 all the way into the final 15 minutes of the games and then the disaster strucked.

The Cambodians managed to scored three more goals in the final minutes to make it 4-2 victory for them.

It is a shame that my first "international" trip have to be ended in defeat.

In the next post, I will share more of my Cambodian trip photo with you guys as I haven managed to upload it yet.

Stay tuned.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment