Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Phone Interview

A lot of people asked me "Do you miss those days when you are an engineer?"

This is what I would tell them.


But honestly speaking, I do. Sometimes.

Being an engineer at one point is like a dream came true.

Unlimited meetings, learning new things each and everyday, not to mentioned get paid every end of the month without delay, that's nice.

There were indeed a few occasions that I felt like I really wanted to go back and put my engineering helmet on again.

During my away trip in Brunei, I received a call from Malaysia.

It is not a norm that I would pick up international call while I am away in another country, especially if I am away for a vacation or leisure, knowing that my bill would make me looked like Jacky Chan at the  end of the month.


But somehow I just did.

It is a call from one of the multinational oil and gas company, ShXXl (Due to privacy issue I decided to keep it as a secret for the mean time)

I remembered I have a few application rejected during my time as an engineer. The email normally sound like this:

"Dear Hung Yew,

Thank you for your interest in a career with Shxxl and for taking time to submit your application.

Your experience and qualifications have been carefully reviewed, but we regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion...."

But for this time around, the voice on the other end who introduced herself as the recruiter.

"We are pleased to inform you that you were shortlisted for our pre-screening via phone interview on the 17th September"

"The interview would take as long as 45 minutes"


45 minutes?

I can't even imagine talking to my fiancé on the phone for 45 minutes. She will definitely think that I am cheating on her.

Imagine that during the whole 45 minutes you will be bombarded by endless questions based on your technical knowledge, experiences and your qualification.

But I guess this may only happens once in a blue moon so I agreed to attend the phone interview.

Come 17th September I am damn well prepared.


A couple of nights before I went through the sample interview questions and answers.

I googled "How to prepare for an interview like a pro".

"Best interview questions and answers".

And then when I started to google for "1 million Free Air Asia shit." (Sorry supposed to be seat), I knew it is time to go to bed.

Luckily enough, 70% of the questions been thrown to me at that day was expected. As for those unexpected question, the best way to do it?


Pretend to be like them. They asked you A? You go through B,C and D before going back to A again.

If you know what I mean.

As for the outcome, I will only know it next week.

Until then, stay tuned!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment