Sunday, January 4, 2015

Bangkok Shopping Spree

When mention about Bangkok, this is what a girl would think.


And this is what we, the guys, think.

 
On my recent birthday in December, my wife suddenly asked me if I fancy a trip to Bangkok, Thailand. She will pay for the air ticket as my birthday present.

Since I have only been to Phuket and Krabi before, I think this would be a great chance to have a look at the place where girls described as the "heaven for shoppers".

How wrong I was.

Apart from the bustling red light district and countless massage parlour on the street, for me, it seems to be the heaven for both guy and girls in term of shopping.

We arrived late evening and check in immediately into the hotel first. The Centara Watergate Pavillion Hotel.


Priced at about RM250 per night, I think it was a good choice for its setup, and most importantly, the location, which is a walking distance away from the BTS train station and the Platinum Mall, where you can do hell-a-lot of a shopping.


The view from hotel lobby. Place where you can have breakfast, lunch or dinner here.


View inside the room.

The overall setup was modern and most importantly, it is clean and comfortable and spacious enough for couple especially.

And it comes with a free Wi-Fi and lots of local and international movie channel on TV. So, nothing much to complain.

It is located about 10 minutes walk away from the Platinum Mall in Pratunam area,  rated as one of the most popular + cheap shopping place for fashion clothes and accessories wholesale.


A t-shirt like this would cost about RM20 per pc.



And about RM39 for a formal/casual wear for guys.


But if you were a football fanatic (like me) who wished to purchase cheap club jerseys from the shelf, you may not want to end up here.

During the trip, I tried to google the best place to find football jerseys. Some people told me Chatuchak market and the "Kaka" shop near the MBK mall would be the best bet. But personally? This is how I would rate it.

Chatuchak - Big disappointment. The jerseys on sale looked old and "fake". I mean it is fake anyway, but the last thing I wanted is my football jersey looked like a pair of car washing clothes.



Kaka Shop, near MBK mall - The quality of the jerseys are good. Price was OK. But the selection was really limited. A lot of the shop provide services for jersey and number printing. But still, I walked out from there without buying anything.

It was quite disappointing at first as one of my main "mission" for this trip was to grab as many football jerseys as I can.

Then came the Eureka moment.

During one of those afternoon walkabout, me and my wife decided to part ways as she was trying to get some dress from the Platinum mall. And I was feeling so sick that I was planning to walk back to hotel on my own.

Then underneath a flyover bridge, between Platinum Mall and my hotel, was a row of stalls selling t-shirts and stuff. Then I saw the jerseys.

The quality is excellent and the price is cheap. I managed to negotiate for 10 jerseys for myself and my friends at about RM22 per piece.

This is how it looks like.


So you can judge yourself by its look.

As the hotel we are staying in are quite strategic in term of location, most of the time we spend are on foot.

But if you get too knackered and decided to stop walking, don't worry, Bangkok has lots of this guys.


Just make sure you check the price beforehand as Tuk Tuk does not come with a meter like a usual taxi does.


To summarize our trip, this is the breakdown (Approximate) that we spent during this trip.

(Price for two person)

Airfare (Air Asia) = RM 900
Hotel (3 D 2 Nights) = RM 500
Food + Transport = RM300
Shopping = RM 2,150.00 (!!!)

As you can see, the cost of shopping worth much more than the rest.

So, in the future if your other half (especially if it is girl) invited you to Bangkok, just make sure that you bring enough cash with you.

Before the trip I was questioning her, "Do we really need to spend 2K on shopping alone?".

She didn't answer directly.

She proved to me.

That even a guy can go crazy while doing shopping in Bangkok.


 

2 comments:

  1. Now day, everything is going to find a new but well settled and successful stream for their career. When I came to this blog, I really impressed by all the knowledge points mentioned here. Thank you for this assistance.
    แทง มวย

    ReplyDelete
  2. People tired to find a relevant place where they can know real facts and myths about the topic mentioned by author of this blog. I want to help a lot of needy people through this blog to come up at my blog to know the real facts and myths regarding this topic.
    Curren Men Watch

    ReplyDelete