Thursday, December 1, 2011

Impossible is Nothing




I have blogged about almost everything in my life.



But recently i came to realized that i left out a story which, i can consider it as one of the most important moment in my entire life.



(This is going to be a lengthy one, so you may want to warm up your coffee)



You see, i am not coming from a mega rich family. But me and my siblings have always had enough for our foods, education and occasionally, a trip overseas. I have witnessed the ups and down that my parent has went through in order to raise all four of us, from a humble beginning as the government servant to running their own business as of today. I am proud of them. We are not rich, but we are okay.



As a kid, we are taught and educated in a way that we don't have to worry to spend on foods.



But if we want something "luxury" rather than a "need", we are taught to earn the money by ourselves. RM2 for washing cars, RM1 for feeding the dogs, stuffs like that.



But i do admit that i am quite a spoilt child. During the university days, i was given enough pocket money to survive and on top of that, a credit card. (Which is amazing that i am so discipline that i never blew out the card limit).



It was during the third year around i started to ignore the long semester break and instead of going back home, i looked for a part time job as a photo studio assistant cum photographer in one of those shopping malls. I have had the same experience working for my uncle when i finished my SPM, and i guess it will be much better compared to standing for all day long in the supermarket and arranging the food cans for all day long.



Well, "photographer"---it sounds cool enough and on top of that i could always learn something new, like developing the films and pictures, taking photos of babies and adult. Well, until today my employer at that time still believe my stories when i told her that i have quit studies and just want to start earning money.



I worked for 3 months and in the end, went back to university as the semester starts. Well if she read this, i just want to say I am sorry, you guys are the best and has always be there for me. (Anyway it doesnt matter anymore as they closes down the business 1 year after i have left).



Well back to the story.



To me, working and get paid is one thing. My principle is that i must be able to learn something out from it. And it has always being my motivation ever since.



I think it would be interesting to look at some of my part time job i have done before.



1. Pegawai "Koperasi" in Secondary school. (Yeah we get paid)



2. Temporary teacher in a primary school. (I got hired by my SPM result for my Bahasa Melayu, which i got an A1. Yeah, my balls is expanding right now).



3. Photographer cum studio assistance.



4. Event Management Crew members a.k.a "Kuli" / "Buruh Kasar".



But nothing gonna beat this one. You see, when you are in your study time, part time job is merely just for you to pass time. But when i came out from work, my instinct told me that engineering is not really something i could get a lot of money out of it.



But what should i do?



So, the idea of becoming a part time property agent/negotiator strucked my mind this one night when i was on my bed. It is like a Deja-Vu. It is like an Eureka.



I think i can make money out of it, no doubt. And i have a passion to learn and to know more about property market and its culture, why not? If i can learn something and making cash and bucks out of it, why not?



It is not like the guy who tried to "conned" me into becoming a part time financial planner/insurance agent when i was in university. He used to drive by and pick me up in his sleek Mercedes and show me (us) his photos of his Europe vacations and telling me that if i join his "Million agency", i will become a millionaire, smoking big fat Cuban Cigars and drive German cars in no time!



I didn't fell on that.



Without thinking twice, i immediately jump into the property line. Fuck the multilevel marketing. Screw the so called organic foods. Adios on the insurance marketing. This is something, which we all knew , 80% of your clients would not hang up their phone on you from the moment you say "hello, i am xxxx and i want to introduce you about our medical plan...." Click. Gone.



The only doubt i have is that, can i really do it? No? If others can do it, why not me?



So, after couple of months i have joined i managed to close my first deal. It is not a big amount nevertheless. Just about only a fraction of my monthly salary as an engineer. But it is the sense of accomplishment that has actually overwhelmed me with joy and prideness.



To be honest i would have given up hope on the moment that the father of the vendor trying to intervene on the transactions. We have a few words, and i still remember telling him i would rather give away all my efforts and hardworks and abort the transaction if he want to do it HIS way. Well, i held on to my principle that i should do my OWN way and managed to convinced him after a few rounds of discussions.



So, after a few rounds of negotiations, we completed the deal. I still remembered the final deal was completed via the Skype messenger (Since the vendor is in Australia).



I was so closed to ruining it. And the deal would not be completed if:



1. Have i just walk away from the hassles of negotiating with the father of the vendor.



2. Have i not make it a point to call back the buyer apologizing and convincing them when they told me that they are having difficulty arranging the viewing time slots with me.



3. Have i not drove all the way to Mont Kiara to help fix the network setup a day before for my vendor's computer. (As the teleconference was made via skype messenger in his home).



Indeed it was one of the most memorable moment of my life when i received my cheque. Well, most important thing is, i have managed to learn something out from it. The experience, the way we need to deal with people and how to face the crisis when it happens.



Today, the father of the vendor remained a very close friend to me, although we have never met ever since the beginning until today. We are still waiting for a day to come out and have "Bah Kut Teh" together.



Well i am still working on for the next one, one little step at a time.



When you have passion for something you are working on, i guess it is called "The Adidas way".



Impossible is nothing.







No comments:

Post a Comment